Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week 17: Setting the Stage for Catch-Up

I’m going to call it this week and say that nothing actually got done although there is still time today. If I get anything done I’ll count it toward next week.

BUT - progress has been made, the stage is set for catch-up and I have something to be happy about.

Progress
One: Revised Isaac’s one tunic so it has gores to fit better over a cloth diaper and finally hemmed it since that would have been a waste of time if I decided it needed gores.

Two: Sewed up a hole a “cut and sewn knitted sock.” That needed to be done.

Three: Figured out where the buttons need to go on one of my underdresses to make it nursing friendly and decided I could use 2 of the baronial buttons instead of making them. Still need to sew the buttons, reinforcement and button holes, but it’s progress.

Four: Sewed one button and one loop on my plaid linen dress, so at least I can wear it without it being open from the neck to the navel. I still need a few more buttons on it to not be obscene but progress is getting made.

That dress is bit screwy because I originally sewed one gore in backwards and twisted - nice huh? Well, I was pregnant. Then, by the time I got the wherewithal to redo the gore, I set the two front gores in a tiny bit lopsided. I went from the bottom up instead of the navel down and they didn’t meet exactly in the middle. That left one side of the neck about a quarter of an inch higher than the other. At the time I thought I would close it with a broach or something and I was discouraged so I just let it go. Then once I was nursing I realized it needed to be open a lot more in front, and a single broach just wasn’t going to work. Anyway I’m trying to see if I can fudge the front gores a little better so it’s not so off. I think it will work, it just needs to be hand sewn.
So, technically, nothing is done - but some maintenance is happening.

Setting the stage:
I dug out a number of UFOs, some of which are quick hits. On a number of tunics with set-in sleeves, I had trouble getting the sleeves right and I ended up just re-cutting the sleeves. I always figured I could use the original sleeves for some kind of fake pin-on sleeves. They just needed finish work. And so they went into the UFO pile.

I’ve decided that my bright blue sleeves are just too tight but they’ll be good for a child. I think they can go to the Winter Court children’s A&S competition or something. I’m on deck to finish them this week.

Also found some linen sleeves that will work for me. Again, maybe I can get the finish work done and have 2 pair of sleeves done next week.

I measured Lyriel for drawers that were already cut and out and partially sewn up. They will work, but I may take out the seam and move it just an inch so they’ll be absolutely perfect. Then they’ll need hand finish work and that takes awhile. Probably won’t get done for next week.

Good news to be happy about:
Anton’s 2 pair of drawers left my house -another thing gone. See picture above. I told him I didn’t want to know if they didn’t fit and he should give them to someone they do fit. They’ll probably be just fine as they aren’t that fitted. Belle was so gracious when I told her the whole story of why I still had drawers from when she and Anton were Prince and Princess. I neglected to get her current measurements, but I should just email her and see if she’s changed much.

A question: I seem to keep finding UFOs that weren’t part of my original list of 60, then 66. Do I just keep adding them to the list? It’s so discouraging. This week I found 2 pair of drawers cut out to fit Lyriel and another set of sleeves that didn’t work.

So, for week 17 that still only makes 14 projects complete but it brings the total to 68! I may just drop the total for now and go on a week/project count. It’s so discouraging if you look at it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home